My third week of training (the third microcycle) is the most intense week for training with an intensity of 90-95 percent.
Similar to the previous two weeks of training, the 4 days workouts haven’t changed much. The only exception is that the volume was reduced and the intensity increased.
Sunday’s and Thursday’s trainings were designed for the anaerobic alactic system consisting of drills with maximum intensity for ballistic power and maximum strength. Tuesday’s and Saturday’s trainings were designed to stimulate the anaerobic lactic system and maximize aerobic consumption with drills for power endurance.
After my warm up and dynamic stretching time, I performed the first circuit:
- 4 sets of different karate explosive drills performed at maximum intensity (in less than 10 seconds) with the work to rest ratio of 1:8. For each 10 seconds of the drills, I rest about 75-80 seconds before completing the next exercise.
The second circuit was designed as a Ballistic Power Circuit performed on the Smith Machine at 30 percent of maximum load (1RM) with rest interval of 60 seconds between exercises. The exercises were as follow:
- 10 Jumping Squats
- 10 Ballistic Bench Press at 45 degree
- 10 Ballistic Bent Over Row
- I repeated the circuit 3 times.
The last circuit was designed to maintain my maximum strength with a circuit training of a pair of exercises performed at 85-90 percent on maximum load with rest interval of 60 seconds between each pair. This gave me enough recovery time for the regeneration of phosphates to be able to repeat the circuit for 3 times at near maximum intensity. The exercises were performed as follow:
- Machine Leg Press x 3 repetitions followed by 6 Bunny Forward Jumps
- Machine Bench Press x 3 repetitions followed by 6 Plyo Push Ups
- Chin Pull Up x 10 repetitions
- Dips x 10 repetitions
I ended the session with 10 minutes of light aerobic running on the treadmill followed by static stretching in a hot tub.