YES, I did it and I achieved my goal. In just 12 weeks of this weight loss challenge, (January 4th-March 29th 2015) I lost 10.3 kg (23 lbs) of unwanted weight and I trimmed my waist circumference with 14 centimeters (5.5 inches)
In fact those are my results week by week:
|January 4, 2015||Start Weight||92 kg (202 lbs)||106 cm|
|January 11, 2015||Week 1||86 kg (189 lbs)||98 cm|
|January 18, 2015||Week 2||85.3 kg (188lbs)||97 cm|
|January 25, 2015||Week 3||85 kg (187 lbs)||97 cm|
|February 1, 2015||Week 4||84 kg (185 lbs)||96 cm|
|February 8, 2015||Week 5||83.5 kg (184 lbs)||95 cm|
|February 15, 2015||Week 6||83.5 kg (184 lbs)||95 cm|
|February 22, 2015||Week 7||83.5 kg (184 lbs)||95 cm|
|March 1, 2015||Week 8||83.5 kg (184 lbs)||95 cm|
|March 8, 2015||Week 9||83 kg (182.5 lbs)||94 cm|
|March 15, 2015||Week 10||83 kg (182.5 lbs)||94 cm|
|March 22, 2015||Week 11||82.4 kg (181 lbs)||93 cm|
|March 29, 2015||Week 12||81.7 kg (180 lbs)||92 cm|
Why I decided to do this challenge?
On my previous blog from January 2015, entitled ‘From Fit to Fat – My Transformation Challenge’ http://www.mariofit.ca/fit-fat-transformation-challenge/ I wrote how stress, medication for pain and nervous tension, affected my life, my health and my physical fitness. And as a result of those stressors, my blood sugars elevated, my blood pressure rose to unhealthy readings of over 140/90, my weight gain move up from 84 kg to 92 kg in only few months, and my waist measurement increased to 106 centimeters (42 inches). This constellation of symptoms made me a candidate for developing a pre-diabetic state known as Metabolic Syndrome or Syndrome X.
Having personal experiences and knowing that Usana Health Sciences is a True Health Company with clinical studies in Reversing of Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity, I decided to restore my health and lose some unwanted pounds by participating into their Usana Reset Nation weight Loss Challenge and follow their protocol. See some clinical trials at the end of this blog.
And I have to admit that even with my knowledge in functional fitness and holistic nutrition, achieving this ambition and losing 10 kg, was not an easy task without exercising.
Yes, due to some re-occurring back pain and muscular stiffness (as a result of a car accident in 2009) I was not able to exercise during the first 8 weeks of my challenge, yet I was able to lose 7 kg of my weight just by changing my nutritional habits, as recommended in the USANA’s RESET™ Nation Challenge.
But when 4 weeks ago I also started to workout using a combination of moderate intensity weight training and functional bodyweight exercise program I personally designed for my recovery, I was able to achieve my goal and to lose an additional 3.3 kg.
Why I set my goal to lose 10 kg?
And if someone might ask why my goal was to lose 10 kg and not six, eight or 15kg, I can surely affirm that before 2009, this was my ideal weight as a fitness professional and martial arts athlete. This was the weight that in the years 2005-2009, kept me extremely active, strong and in great physical condition despite my age of 47 (in 2009).
But what motivates me to participate into this challenge NOW was mostly a combination of many personal choices.
- First, I needed to restore my health which in the last year started to decline at a considerable speed and I wanted to win the big prize: The Usana Health Sciences all inclusive trip to Sanoviv Medical Institute (May 2nd-May 7th 2015)
- On the same time, I wanted to prove again and again that Usana Health Sciences is a True Health Company. In the past, as a Registered Holistic and Sport Nutrition Consultant in Canada, I was able to help many friends, athletes and other clients to improve their wellbeing using a combination of healthy nutrition, regular physical exercises and the use of Usana Health Sciences nutritional supplements.
- My next reason to win this challenge was to raise awareness to my fellow Romanian friends and compatriots, and to point out that Usana Health Sciences is indeed the True Health Company.
Once one of the top karate athletes in Romania (and than in Italy) I grew up as an eyewitness to the effects of malnutrition in many orphan children in Romania. And at that time I was unable to help at all. But in 2002, thanks to Children’s Hunger Fund (a Charitable Organization) and its long-time partner Usana Health Sciences, I have heard how they restore health to thousands of Romanian orphans for many years. This is why in 2012 I decided to ‘return the favor’ and to compete (at the age of 50) in the 2012 Karate BC Provincial Championships to raise funds for Usana True Health Foundation and Children Hunger Fund to be exclusively used for children in desperate need of food and medicine. For me as a USANA Associate, giving to Children’s Hunger Fund was more than a donation — it was a fight. And I would like to thank Usana and their True Health Foundation for recognizing me as one of their “Champion”. In fact in 2013, the management of Usana Health Sciences and True Health Foundation invited me in Salt Lake City to present to me the ‘Champion for Change Award’
4. And NOW the year of 2015, become my time to restore my health and bring back my well being. And thanks to Usana Reset Nation Challenge, I am on my way to get healthier and better physically, emotionally and financially.
And to conclude I would like to tell everyone:
YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR WEALTH
More information about Usana Clinical Studies on Reversal of Metabolic Syndrome:
- Reversal of Metabolic Syndrome through a Lifestyle Change Program involving a Low Glycemic Diet and Exercise https://www.usana.com/media/File/dotCom/company/science/crb/14CRB.pdf
- USANA-Supported Clinical Study Results Published in the Journal Obesity and Weight Management http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/08/25/idUS189516+25-Aug-2009+BW20090825
- USANA Demonstrates That Symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome Can Be Reversed: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aIl.w7fu1_SY
- A low-glycemic nutritional fitness program to reverse metabolic syndrome in professional firefighters: results of a pilot study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3114284